Terms & Conditions
Except as otherwise noted, the contents of this website are copyright of Symes Street & Millard LLP. All rights reserved.
The content of the Symes Street & Millard LLP website, ssmlaw.wpengine.com is provided for purposes of information only and under no circumstances should it be construed as legal advice. Visitors to the Symes Street & Millard LLP website should not act or refrain from acting without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice having regard to the particular facts and circumstances at issue. Symes Street & Millard LLP cannot guarantee the confidentiality of any information transmitted by way of Internet e-mail or via the Symes Street & Millard LLP website and, accordingly, transmissions should not contain confidential information. The viewing of the Symes Street & Millard LLP website, in whole or in part, and the communication with a lawyer at Symes Street & Millard LLP by way of Internet e-mail or via the website does not constitute a solicitor-client relationship between Symes Street & Millard LLP and any website visitors.
What personal information do we collect?
Why does Symes Street & Millard LLP need personal information?
Symes Street & Millard LLP provides legal services and products to a wide range of clients. We collect personal information about and from our clients in order to:
- Provide legal services to you and on your behalf
- Communicate with you
- Enter into commercial relationships with you or others for the purposes of carrying on our practice, including the issuing of accounts, collecting and processing payments, and meeting contractual or insurance obligations
- Maintain and enhance our internal knowledge management databases
- Comply with regulatory and audit requirements of the Law Society and other governmental or regulatory authorities
- Advise you of developments in the law
- Advise you of the services that we provide, firm news and firm events
- Any other purpose to which you consent
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect information only by lawful and fair means. Wherever possible we collect your personal information directly from you, at the start of a retainer and in the course of and in connection with that retainer. Sometimes we may obtain information about you from other sources during the course of our retainer. Examples of other sources include:
- Your employer
- Your accountant
- Your healthcare providers
- Other consultants retained by you or on your behalf to assist with the retainer
- Your insurance company
- Your real estate agent
- A government agency or registry
Use of your information
We use your personal information to provide legal advice and services to you, to conduct our normal client relationships, and administer our client time and billing databases. In these respects, we assume that we have your consent to use your personal information unless you advise us to the contrary.
Symes Street & Millard LLP does not disclose your personal information to any third party to enable them to market their products and services without your consent. For example, we do not provide our client mailing lists to anyone, except as may be required by law.
Disclosure of your personal information
Under certain circumstances, such as the following, Symes Street & Millard LLP will disclose your personal information:
- When you consent
- When we are required or authorized by law to do so (for example, if a court issues a subpoena or summons)
- When the legal services we are providing to you require us to give your information to third parties, your consent will be implied, unless you tell us otherwise
- Where it is necessary to establish or collect fees
- If we engage expert witnesses on your behalf
- If we retain other law firms in other jurisdictions on your behalf
- To any person whom Symes Street & Millard LLP reasonably believes is providing or requesting disclosure of personal information as your agent
- If the information is already publicly known
Updating your information
Since we use your personal information to provide legal services to you, it is important that the information be accurate and up to date. If during the course of the retainer any of your information changes, please inform us.
Is my personal information secure?
Symes Street & Millard LLP takes reasonable precautions to ensure that your personal information is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. Among the steps taken to protect your information are:
- Premises security
- Restricted internal file access to personal information stored electronically
- Technological safeguards, such as security software and firewalls, to prevent hacking or unauthorized computer access
- Internal password and security policies
Access to your personal information
You may ask for access to any personal information we hold about you. Summary information is available on written request. More detailed requests that require archive or other retrieval costs may be subject to our normal professional and disbursement fees.
How long do we keep personal information?
We keep personal information as long as is reasonable in order to conduct our business with you, or longer, if required by law.
If we hold information about you and you can establish that it is not accurate, complete and/or up to date, we will take reasonable steps to correct it.
Can I be denied access to my personal information?
Your rights to access your personal information are not absolute. We may deny access when:
- Denial of access is required or authorized by law
- To protect our firm’s rights and property
- Where the request is frivolous or vexatious
If we deny your request for access to information, or refuse a request to correct information, we shall explain why. Symes Street & Millard LLP does not use your Social Insurance Number as a way of identifying or organizing the information we hold upon you.
Can I request anonymity?
You may access general information on our website without providing us with personal information. However, in order to provide you with legal services we will require your personal information including confirmation of your identity.
To comply with the rules set out by the Law Society of Upper Canada, we will require a copy of your driver’s license if you retain our firm.
Communicating with us
You should be aware that email is not a 100% secure medium, and you should be aware of this when contacting us to send personal or confidential information.
If you apply to Symes Street & Millard LLP for a job, we need to consider your personal information as part of our review process. We normally retain information from candidates after a decision has been made, unless you ask us not to retain the information. If we offer you a job, which you accept, the information will be retained in your confidential employee records.
We may monitor traffic patterns, site usage and related site information in order to optimize our web service. We may provide aggregated information to third parties, but these statistics do not include any identifiable personal information.